- A tapestry can make a beautiful wall covering that will not only be nice to look at, but can also add texture to walls. Try and stick to one tapestry per room, as you don't want walls to be overly busy, and you don't want the tapestries to clash. Typically, a tapestry is meant to be used as a focal point for a room.
- For a musical touch, try hanging old records and album covers on walls. You can find cheap records at many secondhand or used music stores. Cover an entire wall in them, or hang sparingly. Another idea is to loop a hook through the center of your record, then hang it and use it as a coat hanger.
- Posters are another classic way to decorate walls. You can do a theme -- movie posters, music posters or a favorite artist -- and arrange them in matching frames. Framing posters is a great way to preserve them and give your walls a more put-together look.
- Wallpaper is another traditional idea you can try to decorate your walls. Hang pretty floral wallpaper for a relaxing room, or even use fabric wallpaper for texture. For a fun twist on wallpaper, you can buy an intricate print and just paper one wall as an accent wall, or two walls opposite each other.
- Clothing can also be used as a creative and fun wall covering. You can frame and hang a significant or beautiful garment, such as a wedding dress. This is also a good idea for a nursery or small child's room, as you can frame her first outfit, her christening dress or other treasured clothing item.
- A scrapbook theme can be a cute idea for wall décor. Instead of keeping your favorite family photos somewhere in storage, hang them on walls with sticky tack or tacks. You can layer them over one another, and do different color schemes. For example, hang photos that have a lot of blue tones in one area, orange tones in another and so on.