Art, antiques and good food come together in one of the newest attractions in Lapa, Rio de Janeiro's famous historic district and nightlife hub. The Old Rio Antiques and Culinary Show (Mostra de Antiguidades e Gastronomia da Associação Polo Novo Rio Antigo) is to be held every third Saturday of the month as of June 18, 2011.
The fair is sponsored by Associação Polo Novo Rio Antigo, an organization devoted to fostering the preservation and attractions of Historic Downtown Rio.
Lapa is well-known for the Antiques Fair on Rua do Lavradio, which takes place every first Saturday of the month. Now there's one more special event to entertain the avid antiques shopper or the tourist willing to sample a bit of Rio's history and flavors.
Several antiques stores in the area are participating in the show with select pieces of furniture or decorative objects, sold at promotional prices for the occasion, which help tell about their place and time of origin.
For the first show, for example, Luciano Cavalcanti from Ateliê Belmonte (Rua do Lavradio, 34), chose a 19th-century chair made from solid jacaranda and a 1950 chair by Joaquim Tenreiro, a furniture designer who created the banquet hall at Palácio Itamaraty.
The show's culinary side also has links to Rio's history, as the area's participating restaurants present some dishes from the city's culinary traditions as well as their clients' top favorites.
One of the featured dishes - which, like the featured antique pieces, are offered at special prices for the event - is the Feijoada à Senado (R$ 30) from Bar Nova Esperança (Rua do Senado 35).
The dish has been prepared according to the same recipe for 30 years.
Cantinho do Senado (Rua do Lavradio 50), another popular Lapa eatery, will present Escalopinho à Lavradio (R$30); Cachaçaria Mangue Seco is serving its Golden Tri-tip (Picanha Dourada, R$ 33). Risoto Brasileiro (R$28) is the special from Santo Scenarium (Rua do Lavradio 36); Quintal Carioca (Rua do Lavradio 25) will serve Penne ao Camarão Quintal (R$24), a pasta and shrimp dish.
Old Rio Antiques and Culinary Show
Where: Lapa, Rio de Janeiro - RJ
When: Every third Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Participating Antiques Stores:
- Babilônia Antiguidades - Rua do Lavradio 12/14
- Empório Dona Carlota - Rua do Lavradio 11
- Lavradio de Rádios - Rua do Lavradio 13
- Scenarium Antique - Rua do Lavradio 28
- Ateliê Belmonte - Rua do Lavradio 34
- Flanar Antiguidades - Rua do Lavradio 60
- Mercado Moderno - Ruado Lavradio 130
- MOBIX - Rua do Lavradio 128
- Ems Ltda - Rua do Senado 45–B
- Pancotto Antiguidades - Rua do Senado 43
- Renato Antiguidades - Rua do Senado 44
- Antiquário Goldberg - Av.Gomes Freire 647 – Room 1106
- Queiroga Móveis - Rua do Resende 21B
- Ricardo Cupti Antiguidades - Rua do Lavradio 60
- Del Rey Antiguidades - Rua do Senado 45-A
- Vanart Antiguidades - Rua do Senado 39